Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire dedicated MS adviser can give free, confidential, impartial and independent advice on a range of issues, including:  

  • Benefits – entitlement, claims and appeal
  • Housing
  • Debt and money
  • Work
  • Family
  • Discrimination
  • Health & social care
  • And many other issues

Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire has provided advice to people living with multiple sclerosis (MS) and their carers in the West Oxfordshire area for many years. The charity’s free advice service supports people with a variety of issues such as benefits, consumer, employment, energy and supporting appeals.

The MS Society (West Oxfordshire) have worked in partnership with Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire to fund this essential service for people with MS.

The charity helped appeal a benefit decision that found her fit for work, creating an overpayment of Employment and Support Allowance, The client said: I wouldn’t have had a clue without your advice and would have just repaid the overpayment and carried on as I previously had done“. Citizens Advice successfully challenged the decision, removing the overpayment and ensuring that her income was maintained. 

Another client’s father following the outcome of a successful Personal Independence Payment appeal, said: As a family we cannot thank you enough for all you have done for us.” Our MS Caseworker has identified that Marie should be eligible for PIP, helped her to claim and when it was refused, help her to appeal the decision.  This made a significant difference to her income and increased her eligibility for other benefits.

Tracy Clark, Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire Supervisor said:

“The MS project is a really rewarding project to work on as the client group are facing many challenges with their health as well as the presenting issues. The clients tend to have a real perseverance to overcome the difficulties they are faced with and are often very humble individuals. It’s a pleasure to work on this project.”

How to get in touch

To find your local Oxfordshire Citizens Advice for advice, visit  

Extra support

Many people with MS can claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP). It’s a benefit that can help cover the extra costs people may face if they need help doing everyday tasks or find it difficult to get around your home. Find out more about MS Society and how they can support people living with MS.

%d bloggers like this: