Community Connect helps people find local community groups and opportunities and supports them to join in. Referred by medical practitioners or self-referred, this service aims to support people whose medical symptoms will be more effectively treated by lifestyle changes.
Main purpose of the role
This volunteering role will help people to access local services. The aim is to provide support for those who might need encouragement to try new things or go to new places. Assessments of need will be carried out by a local Community Navigator, who will agree desired outcomes and an action plan to achieve them.
Once a client has had an assessment and a plan in place, Community Connect Volunteers will be assigned to that client. The Community Connect Volunteer will contact the client, meet with them and address any concerns that the client may have.
The role will involve encouraging the client to follow their plan and in some cases may involve accompanying the client to community groups or activities to build the clients’ confidence to continue alone.
- Build a relationship with clients that develops trust and confidence in the plan and themselves
- Identify key barriers to carrying out their plan, including time constraints, any requirement for support or transport issues
- Identify any new issues or needs that arise throughout the course of support and in conjunction with the Community Navigator, agree a revised action plan and appropriate referrals/signposting.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the aims and principles of the Citizens Advice service and its equal opportunities and safeguarding policies
- Ability to use IT eg basic keyboard/data entry skills /navigation of websites.
- Friendliness and approachability
- Sensitivity to the needs of others
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
What’s in it for you?
- The opportunity to make a lasting difference to the lives of people in your community
- To be part of a caring, supportive team and make new friends
- An opportunity to help your community
- Excellent training and on-going support provided
- A chance for you to learn new skills to add to your CV
- Reimbursement of relevant expenses
Location and base
You will be based locally and refer to the project office in Banbury or Witney, as and when required. Travel will be required to meet clients in locations across North or West Oxfordshire.
No minimum commitment per week. The volunteer work is on an ad hoc basis.