We are looking for people to join our team. Training is provided. You can help us make a real difference to our community.
We have no paid roles at the moment however we have plenty of adviser , administration and reserach volunteer roles that can lead to paid roles .
Our volunteers play a vital role in ensuring people in West Oxfordshire get the advice and support they need to find a way forward. Our volunteers find they gain valuable experience and enhance their skills and enjoy the opportunity to work with and meet different people.
We are looking for new volunteer advisers, receptionists and a research and campaigns volunteer coordinator
Customer Service/Volunteer Receptionist
• As a volunteer receptionist, you would welcome all clients and other visitors to the local Citizens Advice
• explain to the client how long they might be waiting and what will happen and give out a form for clients to fill in
• type up information from the client form onto a spreadsheet or database
• answer the telephone, reply to emails and post
• help with the day to day running of the Citizens Advice service
You don’t need specific qualifications or skills and complete an introduction to Citizens Advice and training for your role
See more about the role
- As a volunteer adviser you would take calls, meet clients face-to-face, and work with colleagues to provide the best support possible for people who contact us
- Each adviser works with their clients to understand their individual needs, then, with professional support from qualified and experienced supervisors, undertake research to find the best advice to give.
- A comprehensive training programme will be given.
- Generally volunteers are asked to contribute at least 8 hours per week, which can be done flexibly either in the central Witney office, our HUB on Station Lane, Witney, or even from your own home
- See more about this role.
Volunteer Research and Campaigns Coordinator
Get involved in all Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire (CAWO) research and campaigns activities:
- Provide support and guidance to advisers on research and campaigns work
- Keep up to date with research and campaigns issues
- Maintain the profile of research and campaigns within CAWO
- Contribute to learning about research and campaigns
- Contribute to effective research and campaigns work within CAWO
- See more about this role
Please do get in touch on email@example.com or contact us online.
We are also looking for help with administration. No specific skills are required. Just a desire to help others in need.
Our volunteers said in our People Survey…
- 87% would recommend us a place to work or volunteer
- 79% reported an increase in self confidence
- 90% felt more engaged in their community
- 87% feel more equipped and empowered to get on with their lives
Sandy O’Neill, Chief Officer of Citizens Advice Portsmouth gave an emotive interview about how she began volunteering at Citizens Advice.
She said: “I can’t ever express how much the day I walked into that office changed my life.“‘I made my way out of the terrible situation I was in, solely through Citizens Advice.”
“What a massive need there is for this charity, what incredible support the advisers give and how much the public appreciate the help”Lynne Searle, Advice Support Volunteer
So many excellent reasons to volunteer with us
- Extensive training and support to ensure you have the knowledge to help people move forward
- Increased confidence and self-esteem through achieving positive outcomes for the community alongside a supportive team
- A sense of belonging to the community, built through working with local people from all backgrounds
- Contributing to improving the wellbeing of our clients, such as reducing social isolation, anxiety and stress
- Improved job market prospects, both in terms of finding employment and expected salary
- Opportunities for internal promotion, including leadership roles and paid positions
“The training was really comprehensive. I felt so well prepared and encouraged to help others. I got the chance to meet people and it was fun too.”Alex Kinchesh, Volunteer
Take the volunteer quiz to find out what area are volunteering might interest you!
Please do follow us on Facebook @CitizensAdviceWestOxon, to see the latest roles.
Thanks to the contribution volunteers play in local Citizens Advice, two out of every three clients have their problem solved and four out of five say the advice received improved their lives.